Saturday, May 17, 2008

HARD WORK PAYS OFF

I've just looked back on my last blogs and have to say that whining pays off. It was all worth it. My Book, A Broad Abroad in Thailand, An Expat's Misadventures in the Land of Smiles has placed as a Finalist in ForeWord Magazine's Book of the Year Award. The winner will be announced at the BookExpo America 2008, at the Los Angeles Convention Center on May 30th. Guess where I'll be on May 30th?

I also just learned that Abroad won First Prize in the Autobiography/Memoir category, and placed as a Finalist, in the Humor category, both in the National Indie 2008 Book Awards.

So I have to apologize for all the whining I’ve done, but the whining spurred me onward to enter these contests and to hell with the BIG publishers. I can do it, I told myself, on my own!!!

Well, maybe I could use some help. Maybe Oprah or Ellen might walk up to me at the Expo and say, “Okay, I’ll take 200,000, wrap ‘em up!”

It doesn’t hurt to dream, does it? If it did, I’d be in a heap of hurt.

To read an excerpt from this award-winning book go to:
http://dodiecross.com/thai/excerpts.htm

Now that my confidence is up and revving with these awards, I’ve gotten serious on my next book: A Broad Abroad in Iran: One Strappy-Sandaled Foot Ahead of the Mullahs. An Expat’s Misadventures during the revolution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your AWARDS! I'm so happy for you. After reading your memoir, you deserve them.
Sonia

Anonymous said...

Just got your comment on my Iran book. Thanks. Check out my next blog!