Saturday, November 17, 2007

THE STORY OF DAVID (the self-publisher) AND GOLIATH, (the giant publishers)

11/17/07: Okay, I admit it. I probably should have waited to find an agent, then a publisher, then my life would have been so much easier. But, I'm too old for that. I can't wait for two years for the agent to find the right publisher, then the publisher to make me wait two years, and then decide, "Who is this person?" and dump the manuscript. I don't even buy green bananas anymore.

But I did it on my own. I put out a magnificent book that I'm proud of, looks amazing and reads the same. From the reviews I've received, I feel like Oprah should be pounding on my door any minute. "Please, my friend, let me put this out to my Book Club. You're wonderful, incredible...."yada, yada, yada.

But, without a publisher, you have no distributor. Without a distributor, can't get into the book stores. There may be people in down-and-out Arkansas that would love my book, but would never hear about it. So, what do I do. I can't afford to go on a cross-country trek, stopping at all the independent book stores along the way. I'm in my middle-earlies and too tired to make that trip. I can't even afford to pay my two publicists, but I'm doing it. Giving up food and shelter would probably be better, but for now I'll just be an optimist and see what happens.

Tomorrow will probably be a better day, so I'll sign off and hopefully a distributor will be at my door with the newspaper. So, if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Leave me a comment below this posting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have an awsome son who supports all you do.
Your a truly gifted writer.

Anonymous said...

You do support all I do??? Well, how about getting out and selling some of my books to your buddies wives????